Navigating Sustainability: Expert Insights for Staying Committed in 2024
By Delia Da Costa, Environmental Lead at Brightwell
The global call for environmental responsibility grows as we enter the new year. Brightwell wants to make a mark by committing to sustainability in the cleaning industry. Delia Da Costa, our environmental lead, shares insights and advice on making 2024 our most environmentally friendly year yet.
Last year, Brightwell took a significant step forward by establishing a dedicated position within our organisation to drive our environmental agenda. Collaborating with key customers and suppliers, we are closely calculating the carbon footprint of our products. This aligns with the broader Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) agenda and sets a baseline for continuous improvement.
On-site Recycling centre
In 2022, we invested in an on-site recycling centre, focusing on recovering and reprocessing waste plastic material from our production lines. Regrinding machines with low dust and noise specifications enable us to capture and return tonnes of plastic to the production cycle each month. This responsible approach reduces our reliance on raw materials significantly impacting our supply chain emissions.
Our other sustainable commitments:
- Zero waste to landfill: Ensuring that no waste ends up in landfills is a top priority at Brightwell. Materials that cannot be recycled find a new purpose through waste-to-energy facilities.
- Closed-circuit water supply system: We employ a closed-circuit water supply system for cooling our injection molding machines, minimising water consumption reducing waste, and maximising cooling efficiency
- Strategic partnerships: We have made choices to align with our commitment to environmental sustainability. Partnering with Kite Packaging, a certified carbon-neutral supplier. Additionally, working with various plastic suppliers to source greater levels of recycled materials.
- Monitoring controls for Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE): We have recently implemented monitoring controls to improve our OEE. This allows us to identify instances where electricity and resources are being used unnecessarily.
- Updating our website with further sustainable changes: We aim to update our website by incorporating additional sustainable updates, showcasing the achievements of Brightwell on our sustainability page. here.
As we navigate through 2024, Brightwell remains pursuing a greener, more sustainable future. Our environmental initiatives not only benefit our customers but contribute positively to the planet.
If you would like to read more on Brightwell’s sustainability, read the full article in Tomorrow’s Cleaning Magazine: